“Hacienda del Apantle de la Santa Cruz, recuerdos de sus alrededores”
Once the elections took place, on the 28th of July, 1869 the first legislature was established in the city of Yautepec, since then known as Yautepec de Zaragoza. On the 14th of July, Porfirio Diaz and Francisco Leyva contended for the governorship of the recently formed state. Francisco Leyva was the winner and took possession on the 15th of August in Yautepec as their first constitutional governor. Cuernavaca was named state capital by the legislature on the 16th of November.
The first State Constitution was signed on the 20th of July, 1870 and on the 28th of the same month it was transmitted in the entire state. Around those days Francisco Leyva established the Literary and Scientific Institute of the State of Morelos [Instituto Literario y Científico del Estado de Morelos], with preparatory studies in Agriculture and Veterinary, Commerce and Administration, Arts and Crafts, and Special Pedagogic and Law Studies. The reelection of the governor was authorized through a reform to the State Constitution on the 7th of December, 1870.
President Benito Juarez died on the 18th of July, 1872. Leyva, on his part, left his position provisionally and Luis Flores y Caso became substitute Governor. This was when the municipality of Oaxtepec was formed and the villas Jojutla and Tetecala were named cities.
One of the most important events during 1874, in the month of February, was the visit of President Lerdo de Tejada, who made an excursion to the Caves of Cacahuamilpa.
General Leyva, who remained as Head of State until 1876, was a significantly democratic governor, who solidly backed the rights of the people, protecting them from the threat of the landowners who, at the shadow of the confiscation laws, continued extending their patrimonies.
Hacienda del Apantle de la Santa Cruz: http://www.facebook.com/delapantle.
Muebles Zeromadera: http://www.ramsol.com