The Sugar Cane Haciendas in the Region of Cuernavaca-Cuautla, 31 K

IMG_3311

“Hacienda del Apantle de la Santa Cruz, recuerdos de sus alrededores”

The establishment of sugar cane mills in the region of Cuernavaca-Cuautla began practically at the time of the Colony. So around 1600 there were already twelve sugar cane mills of different sizes, although the one belonging to the conqueror Hernán Cortes was the one with greater production. In 1900 there were around thirty sugar cane plantations in practically all the lands of Morelos. After the Revolution almost all of them stopped functioning. Then a great cooperative sugar cane plantation was opened: Zacatepec.

According to the type of property there were two kinds of sugar cane mills in the New Spain: Those of private property and those belonging to religious orders or schools; this last was the most common.

The sugar industry in the New Spain began with the installation of the first sugar cane mills by Cortes in Santiago Tuxtla, Veracruz, around 1526. Antonio Serrano de Cardona was the one who in the state of Morelos, close to Cuernavaca, Axomulco, around 1530 installed the second sugar cane mill of the New Spain, and the first of the zone. The third one was built by Cortes close to the one of Serrano Ruiz de Velasco in Tlaltenango; it was begun in 1524 and finished in 1535.

The story goes that in 1937 you could see the base of a water mill, part of an aqueduct and some walls with characteristics still standing and the date of 1535.
This place is located three kilometers from the center of Cuernavaca, where at that time was the royal road which today is the Avenida Emiliano Zapata. You can also visit a chapel of that time, close to the church of what were the town of Tlaltenango and the church of St. Joseph and Our Lord of Mercy (of the Calvary).

The heirs of Cortes purchased the sugar cane mill of Axomulco en 1553, dismantled it and integrated it to the mill in Tlaltenango.

In 1531 Hernán Cortes ceded territories of his marquisate to those close to him; among them was Bernardino del Castillo to whom he gave thirty five hectares of land of the quarter of Amanalco so he could build a sugar cane mill. It functioned until the eighteenth Century and its last owner was Diego Caballero.

Hacienda del Apantle de la Santa Cruz: http://www.facebook.com/delapantle.

Muebles Zeromadera: http://www.ramsol.com

Acerca de elincansable

elincansable, Ingeniero, Empresario, Designer , Ambientalista, Corredor

Responder

Introduce tus datos o haz clic en un icono para iniciar sesión:

Logo de WordPress.com

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de WordPress.com. Cerrar sesión / Cambiar )

Imagen de Twitter

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Twitter. Cerrar sesión / Cambiar )

Foto de Facebook

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Facebook. Cerrar sesión / Cambiar )

Google+ photo

Estás comentando usando tu cuenta de Google+. Cerrar sesión / Cambiar )

Conectando a %s

A %d blogueros les gusta esto: