During the colony the sugar activity always depended on the ups and downs of the market and the conveniences of the Crown. At the end of the Sixteenth Century the Crown forbade the exportation of sugar from the New Spain, therefore the production had to be absorbed by the internal market.
In reference to spirits in 1714 the Crown forbade its production, causing a great downfall, because it was an important part of the economy of the sugar mills.
During the Eighteenth Century, the over production of sugar, along with the decrease in the demand provoked a fall in the prices as well as a crisis of the industry.
Once the crisis had been overcome, the hacienda San Jose Cocoyoc was located among the most important sugar producers of all the country. At the beginning of the Nineteenth Century it became even more important due to the establishment of new machinery and a hydraulic wheel in the sugar refinery that transported the water from neighboring water fountains through an aqueduct that still functions today.
In 1785 the hacienda was purchased by the mine enabler, Antonio Velasco de la Torre, who in 1801 would inherit it to his son by the same name: Antonio Velasco de la Torre. He obtained a credit of 30 000 pesos and made some reforms to the hacienda. In 1823 he introduced the cultivation of coffee that was well received in the zone where it was known as “Velasco’s coffee”; its fame reached Mexico City.
Margarita, Josefa and Guadalupe, daughters of Antonio, inherited the hacienda when he died. Unfortunately they finished losing the property because of debts. Juan Goribar, famous landowner of the region and owner of the neighboring hacienda de Casasano, became the owner of San Jose Cocoyoc.
It was in those years that Frances Elskine Inglis de Calderón de la Barca, after visiting the hacienda made an interesting description of it. After the death of Juan Goribar, his son Jesus Goribar would be the new owner but he sold it in 1875 to Isidoro de la Torre, owner of San Carlos Borromeo and San Nicolas Pantitlan, neighboring haciendas to San Jose Cocoyoc. Finally Tomas de la Torre, son of Isidro, inherited the hacienda and suffered its irreversible disappearance when after the Mexican Revolution the land distribution arrived and it was divided into thirteen ejidos.
When the land distribution took place, as happened with other haciendas, the hull of San Jose Cocoyoc remained abandoned until Paulino Rivera Torres, a real estate promoter, purchased it in 1957, restored it and made it into a “resort hacienda” and opened it in 1967 and offers its services today.
Hacienda del Apantle de la Santa Cruz: http://www.facebook.com/delapantle.
Muebles Zeromadera: http://www.ramsol.com